Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blog 7: My Second Homestay
            My second homestay has been an awesome experience! I love love love it. I live on a small farm with Mama Tica, Papa Tico, my sister Tiffa (17), and my brother Ariel (8). They have chickens, chicks, two dogs, a 5 month old puppy named Kitty, a 9 month old cat named Marley, and while I was living here 7 puppies were born! My first night here was really scary. They family made me aware that scorpions do get in the house sometimes and it is likely they could be in my bedroom since it is close to the back door. I was scared out of my mind. I quickly learned to check the room for scorpions and then shut the door before I go to bed. I have not seen any scorpions as of yet. I have however seen several huge spiders and insects. After learning that dealing with scorpions might be a possibility, the insects don’t really bother me.
            Another challenge I have faced at this homestay has been the shower. Mama Tica made it very clear to me that my showers should only be five minutes. I take my phone with me in the shower every morning and set a timer and as of yet I have only reached my goal of five minutes once. The longest it has taken me was seven minutes and I power shaved my legs that day. I never thought trying to take short showers would be something I would struggle with in Costa Rica!
            I love to spend time with my family. In a way they remind me of my family in the United States because they are loving, they like to laugh, they live on a small farm, and their ages are all similar to my family’s ages. Sometimes Tiffa and I will sit in my room until midnight using Google Translator to talk. I absolutely love talking to her. It is great bonding time. Oddly enough, Ariel is bilingual. He is very fluent in English for an 8 year old child. Any time the parents really want to say something to me and I can’t understand they will go get Ariel. Tiffa’s boyfriend (18) is also bilingual and will translate for me sometimes. My Mama Tica and Papa Tico will also ask me how to say things in English and that is comforting. We teach each other.
            So far one of the best experiences at my house has been getting to see the farm. My Mama Tica is awesome! We went out walking and she carried a machete. She then cut down sugar cane like a boss and we made a drink out of it using a machine. She also showed me all the coffee plants on the farm. They even have a little wood shop where they make really cool wood crafts. I really want one! There may be several bugs in the house and even scorpions, but I don’t care because I love my family and this small farm.

            This homestay will be one of the things I miss the most about Costa Rica. If I ever come back, I am definitely calling them and asking if I can stay with them again!
Kitty

Me and Tiffa

My Mama Tica making a drink out of sugar cane.

No comments:

Post a Comment