Friday, May 16, 2014

Blog 1: Pre-Travel

Blog 1:  Pre-Travel
It’s official! Today is the day I take off for Costa Rica! I’ve decided to study abroad with some other students from Missouri State University to broaden my own cultural experiences. By going on this trip I hope to become more culturally aware. I also want to understand what it is like for English Second Language students when they come to America, by going to a country where Spanish is the primary language and my first language is English. I hope to learn how to work with children that speak primarily Spanish. I want to learn how to help them understand what I am trying to teach despite our language and cultural differences.
            While I am on this trip I have three main goals I would like to accomplish. My first goal is to be able to speak and understand main words and terms in Spanish by the end of my trip. I want to be able to have a conversation in Spanish with my family and even understand what they are saying back to me. I will know if I have met this goal by the way I feel. If I can keep up with Spanish conversations or at least get the main point I will feel like I have accomplished my first goal. My second goal is to try new things. I want to get the full experience of being emerged into a family that speaks Spanish. I also want to try new foods and zip lining. I will know if I have accomplished this goal by having new experiences to talk about and describe in this blog. My third goal is to learn about literacy in the school systems. I want to see if there is emphasis is placed on literacy and how it is taught. I will know if I have met this goal by being able to describe literacy and its importance in the school in my research project. Another small goal that I am almost certain I will accomplish is to have fun. I want to enjoy my time in Costa Rica. I want to make new friends from both Missouri State University and Costa Rica. I also want to try zip lining, hiking through the rain forest, and seeing a volcano.
            As of right now I am feeling very excited about this trip. I am ready to get to Costa Rica and start experiencing the culture and the people. I am excited to see what the atmosphere is like. I am feeling a little bit nervous about meeting a family and then going home with them shortly afterwards. I am also a little bit nervous about the short walk I will have by myself in the mornings. Hopefully I am close to someone I know. I think parts of my fears are coming from the fact that I have never been out on my own. I still live at home with my parents so the thought of being where I know no one freaks me out a tiny bit. I think these fears will be great learning experiences for me. They will also help me grow into an even more independent person. I need to be able to stand on my own two legs and this will be a great way for me to do that. I am ready to conquer these fears and start this incredible journey to Costa Rica!

No comments:

Post a Comment